Wednesday, June 16, 2010

MADE at Whipstitch

Apparently the blogging world is also in wedding mode right now! Lucky me!


Couture Allure has a great post on stepping outside the box to find your own vintage wedding gown. She even explains the importance of finding the proper undergarments to wear under those gowns (a woman after my own heart).


I also wanted to post about something fun I did this weekend (before the big proposal). Saturday I headed up to Whipstitch in Atlanta (above photo from their blog) for a sewing demo by Dana of MADE. She makes the worlds cutest children's clothing and she was just the sweetest person ever.


Dana was so cute and so entertaining! I just adore her! And I only wish some of her creativity wore off on me during the demo. Look at some of these skirts from her blog!


Just darling!


Her demo was about drafting patterns and making up children's tee-shirts from old men's shirts. It was super fun and super easy. I almost wish I had a little kiddy to make clothing for, but one thing at a time. Her and I definitely shared a common love of thrift store fabric "harvesting." I felt a little silly taking pictures with a cellphone, but until my new camera comes from my Mother in the mail it's all I've got. It's gotten bad, friends. My Fiancé and I took our engagement night photos with a disposable camera.


Some more of her creations that she let us pick up and play with after the demo. Totally digging that bag.


I had never been to Whipstitch before, but don't think I won't be there again! They had some of the cutest fabrics I had seen in a long time. Lots of retro patterns and some great deals on bolt leftovers. I saw a package of nearly 3 yards of bolt leftover for $8.50.


They also had a rack dedicated entirely to tea and coffee themed fabrics. I could barely resist. You can more than likely expect to see the tea pot fabric above in a vintage styled apron or belt sometime in the future. It was a bit pricey at nearly $9.00 a yard, but it would make a great accent fabric.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm doubly jealous, not only did you get to meet Dana, you got to spend the day in Whipstitch!

~Kelli @ Smidgens

By the way, I got my pants fixed and did muslins of the rest of the pattern pieces. I'm such a doofus! Glad I made you laugh tho! :)

dana said...

it was so great to meet you too! I love that wedding dress pic you have on here. thanks for hanging out at Whipstitch with us Nancy :)
- dana

greatoldthings said...

Oh I love love love - lovelovelovelove that wedding dress, I believe that will be my future wedding dress. How incredibly GORGEOUS.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you lucky thing, you!

I love to see that your Beau's name has changed to Finace here. Very happy for you!

Diane Shiffer said...

OK... I am drooling here. Positively drooling... excuse me for a moment while I mop up my keyboard.

OK, I'm back! I love the idea of a vintage wedding dress... I'll have to see what my girls think of that thought. It looks like such a fun idea!

And oh, those little clothes. If I could have the career of my dreams I'd be a children's clothing designer. She makes really pretty stuff.

The only fabric store within about a billion miles of me is JoAnne's, and I have to drive at least 40 minutes to even get to that. I have been wanting to make Molly Weasley's dressing gown which I think is made of fabric covered in teapots... bet I could find just the right fabric at that store.

Nancy said...

Kelli: Glad those pants are working out!

Dana: Thanks for stopping by! I just loved your demo. Hope you can make it out to Atlanta again soon.

Sarah: Heehee. I like the name change as well!

Persuaded: If you are interested in that fabric I'd be happy to pick some up for you and send it your way. Send me an email and we can work something out NancyLyn@gmail.com.